LEARN TO RIDE PROGRAM
The Basic Rider Course is a research-based and action-oriented core curriculum designed to teach beginning motorcyclists of all ages the physical and mental skills necessary to ride safely on the street. The course includes basic motorcycle operation, maximum effective braking techniques, turning skills, obstacle avoidance maneuvers, classroom instruction and ten hours of “on cycle” training. Rider Coaches for the program are all experienced motorcycle operators who are nationally certified by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF). Student workbooks, helmets and motorcycles are provided by SCRT. (due to COVID-19 please bring your own helmet)
Successful completion of this two-day course and its knowledge and skill tests, which consists of approximately five hours of classroom and 10 hours of on-cycle instruction (typically conducted over two sessions, Saturday and Sunday) waives the written and driving tests at the South Carolina DMV and earns your Class M Motorcycle License.
Motorcycles are provided for your use during the course. Also, after successful completion of the course, you will earn an MSF completion card that could provide a discount on motorcycle insurance with many providers.
Overview of exercises of the BRC Training:
* 2-4 hours of independent study to complete the eCourse prior to the course
* 5 hours of Class Room discussion covering street strategies and S.E.E.
* 10 hours of Range work on a motorcycle consisting of:
* Motorcycle Familiarization
* Using the Friction Zone
* Starting and Stopping
* Shifting and Stopping
* Pressing to Initiate lean
* Stopping more quickly
* Tight turns from a stop
* Demonstration of the 3 parts of stopping
* Limited-space maneuvers
* Stopping in a curve
* Curve judgement and gap selection
* Lane changes
* Crossing obstacles and swerving
* Final Evaluation
Who should attend this course?
- Anyone wondering if you would like to ride a motorcycle that lives in Greenville, Spartanburg & Anderson Counties.
- Riders with little or no motorcycling experience who wants the best way to learn to ride a motorcycle.
- Past riders who haven’t ridden in a while but is ready to get back on the road.
- Motorcycle passengers who are ready to move to the front seat and grab the handlebars.
- Motorcyclists who already ride but need a refresher course and/or a motorcycle license.
What is required to attend this course?
- Your commitment to learn and passion for motorcycling
- Your own DOT helmet, (must cover ears) with either a shield or glasses.
- Due to COVID we cannot provide one at this time.
- A long sleeve shirt or jacket (dress according to the weather)
- Long pants
- Sturdy over the ankle shoes/boots (not canvas)
- Full fingered gloves
- Eye protection if your helmet doesn’t have a shield
- Ability to balance and ride on a bicycle
- Rain suit if rain is in forecast
The RULE on the range is “no skin visible” while on the bike. We take rider safety very seriously, if you arrive without the necessary gear, you will not ride. ATGATT (All the Gear, All the Time!)
Are your ready to RIDE? – The Last Step is to pick a class date!