LEARN TO RIDE PROGRAM
The Basic Rider Course is a research-based and action-oriented core curriculum designed to teach beginning motorcyclists of all ages the physical and mental skills necessary to ride safely on the street. The course includes basic motorcycle operation, maximum effective braking techniques, turning skills, obstacle avoidance maneuvers, classroom instruction and ten hours of “on cycle” training. Rider Coaches for the program are all experienced motorcycle operators who are nationally certified by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF). Student workbooks, helmets and motorcycles are provided by URT. (due to COVID-19 please bring your own helmet)
Successful completion of this two-day course and its knowledge and skill tests, which consists of approximately five hours of classroom and 10 hours of on-cycle instruction (typically conducted over two sessions, Saturday and Sunday) waives the written and driving tests at the South Carolina DMV and earns your Class M Motorcycle License.
Motorcycles are provided for your use during the course. A course completion card is provided to each student that could provide a discount on motorcycle insurance with many providers & many retailers and online sites will offer you discounts or free shipping just of mentioned you are an MSF graduate. Lastly, we conduct the SC motorcycle rider’s skill test at the end of class. Successful riders earn their SC motorcycle license endorsement. Also, the SC DMV accepts this course as a “points reduction class” (Driver’s safety class) and with course completion, so graduates could have up to 4 points removed from their SC driver’s license.
Overview of exercises of the BRC Training:
* 2-4 hours of independent study to complete the eCourse prior to the course
* 5 hours of Class Room discussion covering street strategies and S.E.E.
* 10 hours of Range work on a motorcycle consisting of:
* Motorcycle Familiarization
* Using the Friction Zone
* Starting and Stopping
* Shifting and Stopping
* Pressing to Initiate lean
* Stopping more quickly
* Tight turns from a stop
* Demonstration of the 3 parts of stopping
* Limited-space maneuvers
* Stopping in a curve
* Curve judgement and gap selection
* Lane changes
* Crossing obstacles and swerving
* Final Evaluation
Who should attend this course?
- Anyone looking to learn to ride a motorcycle in South Carolina! We’ve had riders from the 4 corners of SC including Charleston, Beaufort, Columbia, Greenville, Spartanburg, Anderson and many more SC cities!
- Riders with little or no motorcycling experience who wants the best way to learn to ride a motorcycle.
- Past riders who haven’t ridden in a while but is ready to get back on the road.
- Motorcycle passengers who are ready to move to the front seat and grab the handlebars.
- Motorcyclists who already ride but need a refresher course and/or a motorcycle license.
What is required to attend this course?
- A valid SC motorcycle permit (see course Prep for the study booklet)
- Your commitment to learn and passion for motorcycling
- Your own DOT helmet, (must cover ears) with either a shield or glasses.
- Due to COVID we cannot provide one at this time.
- A long sleeve shirt or jacket (dress according to the weather)
- Long pants
- Sturdy over the ankle shoes/boots (not canvas)
- Full fingered gloves
- Eye protection if your helmet doesn’t have a shield
- Ability to balance and ride on a bicycle
- Rain suit if rain is in forecast
The RULE on the range is “no skin visible” while on the bike. We take rider safety very seriously, if you arrive without the necessary gear, you will not ride. ATGATT (All the Gear, All the Time!)
Are your ready to RIDE? – The Last Step is to pick a class date!